Translate

Monday, November 13, 2017

Blame the FitBit? Blame the Fountain!

     Things have resumed their more familiar pace at work, thus accounting for this 'hiatus' of almost a year.  I have acquired a few new objects including my tracking device with a blue LED light that periodically blinks in affirmation of my physical activity.  Today's tally topped ten thousand steps compliments of...brace yourself for cliche...a long walk on the beach (through the water nonetheless - where are my bonus points for added resistance?) and a visit to one of my favorite and very extensive art museums. 
    Ah, the Fountain.  It needs no introduction.  I did not get to view this particular artwork today but the museum does house a nice collection of Duchamp's earlier works that could sit comfortably alongside Gauguin or Cezanne.  It was hard to believe that they came from the brush of the man who would give the Mona Lisa a moustache and pass a urinal off as a Fountain.  Sense no sneer of derision in my voice because Duchamp challenges us to think about what constitutes the hallowed category of objects known as "art" and to do that he must provoke us, thereby fulfilling his aesthetic obligation.  Despite my typical sentiment - if we're not being provoked, we're merely being entertained - I think Duchamp's Fountain gives us an opportunity to feel both in a uniform stream.             

No comments:

Post a Comment